Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Reflective reading

General Apache. Obviously the general made a great impression on the professor. This is evident from the fact that he endeavored to write the story of his student for him. While I felt there was valuable information contained in the reflection with respects to the experience of those who found themselves drafted into a war that they most likely would have otherwise not chosen to take part in, I was left feeling that I had missed the point of the reflection. The author spent a lot of time telling us about his experiences with his students but the connection and reflection seemed to be that this allowed him to know his students well enough on a personal level that he was able to tell their stories for them. What troubled me about it was that he is a writing instructor and should therefore be helping his students to tell their own stories. This isn't to say that he didn't teach them just that it isn't evident from this reflection that his method of teaching had helped the students to express their ideas more clearly which I felt could have made for a better reflection. It seemed almost as if the author was bragging
Simplicity. While I found this essay contained practical knowledge about the benefits of writing simply, I didn't see it as much of a reflection. There were examples given to support the writer's ideas but not really any event in time that the writer was looking back at with a new sense of understanding. As to the content while I found that it many cases simpler is better I feel that Zinsser has over simplified the matter. Sometimes having adverbs reinforce the meanings of the verb are very useful in emphasizing a point for effect. If we strip every sentence to its most base and utilitarian level we would lose a great deal of creativity and expression in many a written work. I do agree however that this is often overdone and that many times a more simple wording of a sentence could achieve the same goal and perhaps allow the writer to reach a broader audience.

2 comments:

  1. I like your ideas about how Harrington could have spent more time talking about helping his students. I agree that that could have the reflection more relatable to and serve a greater purpose.
    Also, I agree that Zinsser overstates the fact of simplicity. Sometimes a more complex piece is more enjoyable and creatively engaging than a simple piece. Using simplicity for a broader audience is a good thing to some level but sometimes you need more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote, "What troubled me about it was that he is a writing instructor and should therefore be helping his students to tell their own stories."

    This troubled me also. OK teachers may be inspired by their students. OK some of this may lead to poetry. But I completely agree that what matters is facilitating students in writing their own stories.

    Maybe he was trying to show us what is lost when some students drop out of academia due to the pressures of their ordinary lives. Academia no longer has the asset of General Apache's unique point of view. It leaves me wondering if he re-entered college at a later time. Or if he ever later used writing to influence the world, or his own life.

    And isn't it ironic that you write that in "Simplicity," the author has oversimplified it and Megan says he has overstated it. From reading your and her comments, I realize simplicity might be one of the more challenging topics to tackle!

    ReplyDelete